If you or someone you love is considering oral piercings, there are some things that you should know before you or a family member or friend has tongue, cheek, or lip piercings.
Your dentist explains that oral piercings can cause all sorts of problems including infection, blood loss, and gum disease and jewelry aspiration.
The American Dental Association agrees with your dentist about the dangers of oral piercings. In fact, oral piercings could cause your tongue to swell so much that it blocks off the air passageways making breathing extremely difficult.
Infectious diseases are just one of the issues that could occur from oral piercings. The Herpes Simplex virus and hepatitis can happen if you have your tongue, lip, or cheek pierced.
Your mouth is home to millions of bacteria and if that bacteria enters your bloodstream after the piercing infection and swelling will occur. This could also cause excessive bleeding.
Because your mouth is moist and a breeding ground for bacteria, infection can happen, which could be life threatening. If that bacteria enters your bloodstream and you have undetected heart problems Endocarditis, or inflammation of the valves of the heart and the heart itself, could be a real issue.
Your dentist has seen permanent nerve damage thanks to oral piercings. Numbness is normal after you have your tongue, cheek, or lip pierced, but that numbness could be permanent. That injured nerve could affect how your mouth moves and your taste buds.
If you are sensitive to metals, oral piercings could cause allergic reactions once the jewelry is placed at the site of the piercing.
Crowns, fillings, and caps could also be damaged because people who have oral piercings tend to bite or play with the stud, ring, or barbell. Damage to gums could also occur which could lead to gum disease, gum recession and eventual tooth loss.
Oral piercings could increase your saliva production. This may cause excessive drooling that could be permanent.
Jewelry aspiration happens when part of the jewelry becomes loose. This could lead to choking if swallowed leading to lung or digestive track injury.